Hello EVCS PA Parents,
We held our January PA meeting last Wednesday, Here is a re-cap:
Mathnasium Game Night! this Wednesday evening (1/31).
This is a free family fun night of math games organized by Mathnasium and cosponsored by the School and the PA. There will be Pizza! RSVP here. We still need parent volunteers to help run the game tables, please consider volunteering. All ages and skills welcome!
FUN-draising! going on:
• Tuesday Pilates continues tomorrow. Join EVCS mom and Pilates teacher Luann for a friendly pay-what-you-can pilates mat class. 8:30-9:15 am in the movement room on the 4th floor. All proceeds go to the PA and our kids! Benefits are all yours!
• Learn to Knit – 2 more sessions left. EVCS parents and a grandma are teaching knitting for 2 more Friday mornings (2/1 and 2/9) in the Roost Coffee Shop back lounge. Also a pay-what-you-can fundraiser $20 suggested donation. Needles and yarn available or BYO. RSVP here. All proceeds go to the PA.
• CharityBuzz.com– the Fundraising Committee would like to try out a new fundraising idea. Charitybuzz.com is an online auction site that caters to wealthy buyers looking for experiences or items that “can’t be bought”. Things like celebrity meet and greets, VIP tickets/ backstage passes, walk-ons on TV shows, signed items (such as guitars), VIP tours of hard to get into places (Google, NYTimes), internships, etc… If you have an idea or connection that possibly fits the bill or even if you THINK you might, email email@example.com
• Movie Night II: Parents Night Out: Friday 2/9
Audiences and critics agree this PA fundraiser is super fun! Sign your kids up for a movie and babysitting at school with pizza and snacks included. All proceeds go to the PA and our kids! RSVP here
• EVCS Summer Camp Online Auction.
EVCS Annual Summer Camp Auction will be available during the month of February. Now is the time to make your summer camp plans and take advantage of some great discounts. We are still growing this auction, if you know of any camps that might like to participate in this event, please send them our way (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we will add them to the auction. More information to come.
• EVCS Gala- April 28th. is the date! Start thinking of great donations and look out for the next Gala committee email with donation/ solicitation forms, Coming Soon!
Increasing Diversity in the Classroom Libraries Initiative is underway.
EVCS has committed $5000 from the school budget to buy a selection of books with more diverse subjects and characters, to increase the variety of the perspectives represented within the classroom libraries. Whether, racial, cultural, LGBT, differences in learning styles and abilities, the goal is that all EVCS children have access to books that are both “mirrors” (see themselves in the books) and “windows” (a view into a world not totally their own) This year, the first set of books will be going to the 3rd and 4th grades, then the initiative will be expanded to the other grades until all the classroom libraries have a diverse, yet still, appropriate and high quality selection of books.
While this is a curriculum measure and does not fall under the PA’s dominion, many parents are eager to help suggest book titles, help research the titles that may not already be known or available to the school staff and perhaps help conduct classroom library inventories. A few parents have taken the initiative to start compiling a list of titles. These parents will be joining with the Diversity committee to figure out a way to best help support this worthwhile project. Stay tuned for more news and updates from the Diversity Committee and the Diversity Books Initiative. If you are interested in getting involved, email email@example.com
After -School registration for the Spring Semester has begun!
Online registration is available.
Chromebook’s are also available to use in the school’s office (Room 205) from 4-5:30 pm 1/29-2/15. The Spring Semester begins Feb 26th (return day after MidWinter break) Questions should be directed to: Tracey F. Laroche, EVCS AfterSchool Director, Mosholu Montefiore Community Center-(C) 646 491 0270 (E) firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to all who came to the meeting! Our next General PA meeting is Feb 14th ( ❤)
We will be devoting a good chunk of time for Bradley to talk and answer questions about State Testing.
Thank you for all you do! See you in the yard!!
The PA Exec.
Full meeting minutes available on the EVCS website