PA meeting minutes 5/21/14

Elections

  • Jennifer Kronenfeld of Nominating Committee read current nominees

    • Presidents, Boryana Yakova and Allison Gordon

    • Vice President, Deirdre Sheridan

    • Treasurer, Jeremy Sherber

    • Secretary, Melissa Shiffman

  • No objections or further nominees from group

  • Motion made to vote, unanimous vote for new Executive Board, 2014-15 as written above

Principal’s Report – Robin

  • Thoughts of budget priorities for next year (have not received yet). SLT discussed discretionary funds to align with goals of school

    • Literacy

      • hoping to work more closely with Teachers College (TC).

      • if we are not aligned financially, teachers can’t attend their Professional Dvpts.

    • Math

      • receive support through network

      • have math coach to align common core with our curriculum

    • Wilson

      • piece of Literacy; decoding

      • have had training in past

        • teachers want to revisit

        • bringing in new teachers

    • Theater Arts

      • Kelli not returning due to school

      • will have replacement for her program

    • Opening new class

      • we have two clusters (art/dance), want ½ cluster – chorale music

      • looking for salaried full time teacher from Dept. of Ed

        • hoping for Mr. Rob, teachers chorus in 3th-5th

      • not working with S’cool Sounds any longer

      • want to keep Miles program so preK/K may have 3rd St. come in

    • Responsive Classroom

      • already committed to summer workshop to train teachers

    • STAR program

      • 4th and 5th peer health education program (sex ed)

      • June 2nd – 4th/5th parents to come in for session

      • assess continuation of program

    • Mighty Miles

      • track program associated with NY Roadrunners K-5

      • free

    • OTHER PROGRAMS

      • Solar One science program

        • looking into what it would cost.

        • had con ed grant last time – probably can’t get it again

      • Children’s Museum of Arts

        • funding?

      • NY City ballet

      • Technology support

        • Robin brought up to network

        • Question with city city council about getting computers

      • Parent asked about Foreign Language

        • parent came to SLT re: French

        • funding not available to school

        • ACTION: Marcella to look into French Embassy

        • maybe do as after school to test interest

        • question about value of once/week and time in schedule

  • Common Core (CC)  Implementation

    • Math and literacy are Common Core aligned

    • Professional Development surrounding it

    • math test was aligned to CC taught throughout year. Will not change

    • teachers are asking for additional support for CC literacy

  • Staffing for 2014-15

    • Hiring committee assembled

    • New classroom (a second 5th grade class next year)

    • Leslie Soha retiring

    • goal is to have 2 ICT teachers full time in classroom

    • Losing main office for classroom. Office to be split between 2nd and 5th floors

    • parent brought up Interest in parents being trained to help out in classroom

      • ACTION: Robin to ask teachers their thoughts

  • Building

    • started taking down scaffolding

    • staging will be last to leave

    • soundproofing cafeteria update

      • Robin says must go through school construction authority

      • all schools must approve

President report

  • vote to start morning PA meetings next year at 8/8:15am

    • vote approved for 8:15am

    • kids can be dropped off in yard with supervisor

Treasurer Report

  • must vote on new budget for next year

    • $60,000 in expenses

    • small surplus for next year

    • new expenses

      • put in $3000 to support after-school for next year

      • $1500 for Building Centennial with other schools

    • voted on budget – APPROVED

Committees

  • Fundraising

    • Stephen Garrelts to chair again

    • grassroots effort to reach out and diversity

  • Class Parent Chair

    • Julie Harwood to take over

  • Green Committee

    • Naumi Feldman to take over

  • Arts in School

    • vacancy with Martha leaving

  • Events

    • James and George to continue

  • Buildings

    • Leighton Mitchell is a maybe

  • Marcella Durand interested to start a Diversity Committee for matters within the school

    • separate from Diversity talks as part of Community Action committee

New Business

  • parents asked if there is any ability to assess dance program

    • many people and children dissatisfied and thought there would be an opportunity for discussion

    • discuss with administration

 

Next meeting is teacher appreciation on June 18th

Meeting adjourned

 

Get Your Gala Tickets Today!

springgala

Friends, the time is nigh!

Join us for the EVCS Derby FundraiserSaturday, May 3
Sirovich Center
331 East 12th Street
(Between 1st and 2nd Ave.)
6:30pm to 11pm

You can BUY YOUR TICKETS IN ADVANCE until FRIDAY, MAY 2 at 5pm. After Friday, get your tickets at the door!

Come join your friends to hear world class bluegrass music while feasting on a seriously scrumptious spread — think razor clams, caramelized carrots, sweet cornbread, portobello sliders, BBQ spareribs, salmon with toasted almonds — we list only a fraction of what’s on this crazy menu! Come to support EVCS. Stay to eat!

We can’t wait to see you there!

Love,
The EVCS Events Team